Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Lesson with the New Coach.

Interesting to say the least.

Mix of good and Bad news.

Good news is all my problems emanate from a weak grip, which has resulted in me using my hands and arms to square the club face up in the downswing.

So, grip, easy fix. Yep. Now the big problem. I've got so used to using my hands and arms in the swing I can't stop using them with the new grip. Brian, my new coach, want's be to just swing with my body and let the hands and arms come along. I'm really struggling stopping my hands and arms getting involved too much. This then stops weight transfer and release as well. All the things I've been struggling with.

All of a sudden the light bulb has come on above my head.

I spent some time on the range after the lesson, and some more time today. Starting to come, but I have more swings with my hands and arms getting involved than without. So need to work on that over the next week.

One other good bit of news is he'd rather have someone like me who has got to a 13 handicap with poor technique than someone who had good technique. His point being is that if you'd got to 13 with good technique and can't progress any further then it's talent that limiting you. There's not much he can do.

Basically what he's said is, if I've managed to get to 13 with bad technique then I've obviously got talent and it's the talent that has compensated for bad technique. So if he sorts out the technique, and that combined with the talent, then we should see some real improvements.

So feeling kind of positive, although I know I've got some work to do.

Big question now is can I get a usable swing together for the Woburn trip next Friday ? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment